Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Voodoo #5


OMG! Big reveal! Voodoo is a Daemonite!

The first thing I noticed was Voodoo has a new writer for this issue! I imagine that's because Voodoo was not a big seller for the first few months so DC is quickly trying to turn things around. But I doubt low sales figures have much to do with writers when the character is new to the DC Universe (not brand new, of course, being from Wildstorm). And the new writer being brought in is a new guy at DC. I didn't look up too much about him but I guess he's writing the Uncharted comic for DC right now. Since I don't shit about Ron Marz, the previous writer, it doesn't matter much to me that DC made the switch. Let's see how good the story is!

Voodoo has taken her Corvette to a top secret archaeological dig in the Midwest. I don't think it's the same one that The Rot took over in Animal Man because this one doesn't have bones in it. It has a gigantic Daemonite spaceship! I'll let Voodoo explain.


I like how Josh doesn't beat around the bush about Voodoo being a Daemonite since it's already been so obvious.

The guy who has been hunting Voodoo is waiting for her aboard the Battleship. She has trouble reading his mind so she flashes some cleavage at him because that always makes men's minds easier to read. Except that all you end up reading is "Tits tits titty fuck tits tits possibility of anal?"

The guy waiting for her is a pure blood Daemonite who has problems with hybrids. What a racist asshole! He's there to kill Voodoo! But I bet Voodoo kills him! Or fucks him! Hmm, probably kills him.


The tentacles sticking out of the mouth is so the reader knows he's a Daemonite. It's the equivalent of Vampires in Buffy always being bumpy faced so you know they're Vampires.

It looks like Voodoo kills this guy pretty easily in a few panels. Nothing explicit though, so he may not be dead. She swings a claw and blue fluid splashes up. Then the scene changes to a Black Razor military base. And we get an editor's note about the Black Razors!


Don't The Blackhawks do that already? I guess since both organizations are super secret, they don't know that they're redundant! Although Blackhawks have been cancelled, so it's probably good that the Black Razors exist.

Fallon is being put on indefinite leave because of her anger issues. I guess she acted angry last issue but I don't remember it that well. When she's bitching, she thinks, "Should have just joined The Blackhawks." Ha! Well, I guess they do know about each other! I think the difference is the Blackhawks are run by the United Nations and the Black Razors are either a private organization working with the United States Government or they're actually just a government group.

Black Jack appears and gets really angry as well because they let Voodoo escape four times. But Fallon suddenly has a Holy Grail! I mean, a revelation! She thinks she has one last chance to catch Voodoo so she and Black Jack take off. I don't know what's going on but I bet they encounter Voodoo! And I bet they make friends with her because that blurb that begins the comic says Voodoo may be mankind's greatest saviour! Or something like that.

Back to Voodoo, she didn't kill the Daemonite that easily. She just wounded him, I guess, because they're having a big comic book battle! Voodoo's strength is waning because it's hard to keep her lizardy form for very long. So she tries one last time to read the Daemonite's mind and succeeds, sort of. She sees a vision of Grifter and feels the Daemonite's fear. She sees a vision of Stormwatch and senses the Daemonite feels trapped. She also sees a baby in a Star Wars healing tube and Grifter on the table at the time of the botched transfer. I don't know what it all means but maybe Voodoo does!
But in the end, she just uses her ability to transform to win the battle.


Gross! It's like biting into Tidal Wave gum, Brain Flavoured.

After the battle, Voodoo uploads all of her information to the Battleship to be sent to her alien buddies so they'll know how to defeat all of the Super Heroes of Earth. While uploading, she notices a file on her, so she takes a peek to see what the humans know. What she finds out is that they don't actually know anything about her. They know about someone exactly like her that they currently have in custody.


Does this mean Voodoo will tie in to Superboy and Gen-13 as well as Grifter and Stormwatch?

This other Voodoo is the person Fallon suddenly remembers and rushes off with Black Jack to interrogate. The other Voodoo was scheduled for execution which is why Fallon was in such a hurry. So they arrive and, well, that's the big reveal and the end of this issue!

The whole clone reveal doesn't really interest me one way or another. But the flow and movement of the plot in this issue kept me interested. Just like the last issue of Grifter, I don't know what's going on! Am I just in a generous mood this morning? This comic was enjoyable and, seeing as how I am in a generous mood, I'll move it up the ranks one slot.

No comments:

Post a Comment