Tuesday, January 17, 2012

DC Universe Presents: Deadman #3



Oh no! Deadman is going to die? By being beaten to death with a book by an old librarian?

Yeah, okay. I can buy that. Do I even need to read this? Probably since 'The final fate of Boston Brand' has that question mark following it. And an exclamation point because it's a very exciting question!

Since Deadman is a ghost, can hitting him with a book hurt him? It is a supernatural book! I wonder whose Book of Life that is? I bet it's Lobo's! Lobo's book of life is probably pretty deadly.



The librarian yells, "You'll never get away with this." What are the other two? I bet we find out later this issue but I'm going to guess, "You'll regret this!" and "I'll kill you for this!"


How much damage does an Improvised Weapon, Book, deal to a ghoul?

Deadman then does some more questy stuff. The book reads a lot like Hellblazer except the main character can possess people and is incorporeal. And he doesn't smoke. Unless he smokes when he's possessed somebody who smokes. I imagine he wouldn't bother but since nicotine addiction is physical, I'm guessing Deadman would feel the need for a cigarette.

These are the things Deadman is trying to do:

1. Help Johnny the crippled veteran to want to live by stealing weapons from a deal between the League of Anarchy and the Gotham Mob. I'm not sure how this will solve the problem.
2. Find out what Rama is using him for and stop her.
3. Figure out why he remains connected to the people he helps.
4. Find the fallen angel, the Son of Morning, and ask him how to deal with Rama. At any devilish price.
5. Get laid.

Number Five is implied. He does wonder if the Son of Morning will be female and how that "would make things interesting." Except he wasn't a female. He was this guy:



Out of the eleven books I've read so far, Deadman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman are the only ones that seem to have a story to tell. Many of the others are simply just let's beat up a biggest bad guy introductions to the hero. Sort of typical first issue nonsense to highlight the hero. And Aquaman's plot which framed the good bits wasn't really very interesting. But Aquaman's character and the way he dealt with and reacted to everything was very well done.

But I'm reading mainstream comics for the fun comic book factor. So things like Mister Terrific and Justice League International are good. They're comic book comic books. Although sometimes I don't know if I'm enjoying the comic because the comic book is actually fun or because I'm making it fun and entertaining myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment