Friday, January 6, 2012

Wonder Woman #3



The cover depicts the myth of Wonder Woman's birth being shattered. By some snakes. Are Azzarello and Chiang those snakes?! Probably.

I've never followed comic book Wonder Woman so I don't know if this storyline is completely new. It feels like it. It always seemed a staple that Wonder Woman was created as a clay statue and came to life.



It was this scene here where it all fell into place for me. Azzarello had given us all the pieces and my suspicion that there was going to be some Diana/Hippolyta conflict to mirror the mama drama on Olympus spelled it out completely. I thought Azzerello might leave the revelation hanging for a bit. But in a page or two, Hippolyta tells Wonder Woman the truth: she is the daughter of Zeus.


This is how Wonder Woman was really created.

So that's the big revelation in Wonder Woman #3! By the way, that was a Spoiler! But didn't I say somewhere that this whole comics reading thing was going to be a giant spoiler? Maybe I should post it somewhere near the top.

But the revelations given to us by Azzarello aren't even the best part of this comic. This comic needs to be read for some really nice dialogue.



Like this part here where Diana, excuse me, Wonder Woman, puts Strife in her place. The scene leading up to this is a treat. The scenes after this are a treat.

And I really like the art. It's nice to get a change of pace from Jim Lee's overly shiny yet grim people who are sometimes portrayed as overly cross-hatched and grim. And they all look like mannequins posing.

Or to get away from the standard Super Hero art as presented in Justice League International (which there is nothing wrong with, by the way!).

Something about this style reminds me of House of Secrets' artist Teddy Kristiansen. Not quite as grim or surreal but they both drew free hand panel boxes! So there's that!

No comments:

Post a Comment