Thursday, January 5, 2012

Wonder Woman #2

Best written comic of the bunch so far. I'm impressed! Except I shouldn't be impressed, really. It's the reason most people grow out of following specific super hero comics and instead follow the writers from book to book. Well paced dialogue. Good characterizations, especially of Zola. And the Gods.

Seriously. Good book here.

I mean, how can you go wrong? Azzarello is one of my favorite comic writers. And Xena is one of my favorite TV shows. And Sandman is one of my favorite comics. Now if I can just run into some guy eating peanut butter from a jar while walking down the street while I'm walking the other way reading this comic, it'll be the best thing ever!

This issue begins with Hera and Strife having a little mother-daughter time.



Wait. That's not Strife!



Okay, well, that's Strife. But from the wrong work of fiction.



Shit. That can't be right.



There we are! Strife in the non-Xena, non-Sandman Wonder Woman Issue #2!

Strife is stirring up trouble (surprise?) and Hera, hurting, wants to hurt someone. Preferably Zola. Or possibly Zeus. Maybe even Diana! I think the problem with getting in the middle of the affairs of Greek Gods is that each God always thinks you're on the other God's side. I learned that from watching Xena!

Xena returns home to Paradise Island and brings a penis with her which seems to offend the other Warrior Princesses. Unless she's the only Warrior Princess and her name is Wonder Woman. Here we meet Hippolyta. So it looks like we may get mother-daughter drama on both sides.

Diana is challenged by one of the more butch Amazons and a fight breaks out!



Hmm. That's too small and unclear to be a comic. Also, why can't I find any better pictures of the fight between Xena and Draco from Episode 1, Season 1, 'Sins of the Past'? Stupid internet.

Here's the actual Wonder Woman fight although if I could find a better picture of the Xena fight, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference! Except that Wonder Woman doesn't start standing on people's heads during the fight.



So then Strife appears, Amazons die, blah blah blah, Wonder Woman discovers she is, somehow, Strife's sister! I guess there's going to be more revealed about Wonder Woman's birth than the whole being made out of clay thing!

I know I just blah blah blah'd right through the ending of this comic. But it really should be read. I can't wait until Issue #3. Oh, here it is right beside me!

4 comments:

  1. So we're to believe that Hera is what you get when you cross Charisma Carpenter and Summer Glau? Having said that, it's quite fitting that Strife should resemble Sinead O'Connor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that wasn't Hera. That was Discord from Xena. It's just that when Wonder Woman introduced Strife, my first thought was that Discord was Strife in Xena. So when I searched for pictures of Strife, I got the male and then my memory re-remembered it correctly. Hera (from Xena) was a nice cross between matronly and hot. A GILF?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so disappointed that you didn't lead into your reply with "Actually...". You need to talk the talk and walk the walk with your nerdy pursuits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I thought about saying actually.

    ReplyDelete