Sunday, January 29, 2012

Firestorm #5


I'm going to go out on a limb and say this never happens.

Between comics, Jasonstorm apparently goes with Ronniestorm to the Zithertech compound. At the end of last issue, Ronniestorm was all hyped to join up with them. But Jasonstorm was not and still is not. He's under observation by Zither Cobrina and her assistants.


Now we are all sons of bitches.

Is science good for man? Quite a question, really. And I think it mostly boils down to whatever context the question comes up. I've heard it said, "Can you imagine if Dolphins had thumbs? How advanced would they be?" But what about the other side of that coin? What if humans did not have thumbs? How much happier might we be?

Oh, and Miss Zither brings up this quote by Oppenheimer simply to call Oppenheimer an idiot and show that she has no regrets over her involvement in this Firestorm mess.

As Jason gets ready to go out and meet his nicety-nice captors, he recalls some things his dad said.





That would have been so much quicker to just type out.

I like Jason's dad! He's my kind of guy! In a philosophical way, not in a gay way! Although he was pretty fit. Missing an arm though. And apparently, not very good at living by his own words:


Hopefully they didn't move him in next to Ronnie's mom or she's going to have to move to another cul-de-sac.

Oh, and I was apparently wrong about Ronnie and his dad possibly being vegetarians:



Back to the Oppenheimer and Bainbridge stuff. Our generations. The Baby Boomers and beyond. We owe nearly everything to that day at the Trinity site. I don't mean just the threat of nuclear war that hung over many lives across many decades (and still does, just more like background radiation). Our way of thinking and being in the world has radically changed since that day. "Now we are all sons of bitches." It's just about the truest statement ever made. We are all bastard children of that moment. I like to believe that Bainbridge said it immediately after the flash and cloud. That he just turned to Oppenheimer and those words fell from his lips.

I've been kicking around making a pilgrimage to the site. I thought my 40th year would be a good time so I may plan it for the summer. I just realized when I do go, I think I'll bring my Firestorm action figure and leave it at the site. A nice gift to the moment that changed it all.

In the comic, Jason is hooked by Zithertech. A combination of his dad being happy, a new truck being given to him, and Ronnie convincing him they can do some good while nothing serious really happening convinces him to join up. And they're sent on their first mission to stop a Quraci terrorist at a concert. They think it's a big Public Relations stunt but when everything is said and done, they realize they're in over their heads.


Whoops!

No comments:

Post a Comment