Sunday, January 8, 2012

Captain Atom #3

Before I continue reading Captain Atom #3 (I've read up to the title page), I'm going to make a declaration:

Captain Atom, you get a clean slate! Let's leave those last two issues behind us and pretend they never happened. From here on out, let's call Issue #3 'Issue #3-2'. I know you were just a soldier and not a scientist, so let me clear that up for you. That makes this Issue #1! Okay? Sound good? Okay, buddy! Let's try this again!

Now this is how the entire series should have began! Who are the editors at DC? How could they not have seen that this is the beginning of this series? I'm not saying it's good or that I entirely like Captain Atom yet. But it's intriguing. And it makes sense! So I'll post all of Captain Atom's narration boxes up to the title page here and then discuss what I like and dislike about this start.





















During this narration, the panels show people in trouble being saved by Captain Atom. But Captain Atom isn't in any of the panels. Just his symbol appears at those moments the person is saved. And they never know he was there helping them out.

What do I like about this inner monologue? It rings true to the character. Captain Atom is a broken person. He died and, somehow, miraculously came back to life. And he came back with crazy huge (one might say 'God-like') powers. He's exactly the type of person who would be looking for meaning in life. He can't chalk it all up to some accident. There's got to be something more at work. Someone behind the curtain.

What do I dislike about this inner monologue? Most definitely his conclusion at the end. 'Am I part of it or working against it?' If this accident made him begin to think there was something more, some meaning to it all, he would almost certainly believe he was saved for a reason and therefore part of the plan. This kind of questioning might come later, maybe. But that final question seems too cynical for someone just beginning to question whether there is meaning behind it all.

Now, it still works. That's just how I feel about it. He is, after all, just asking questions.

I also dislike his bit about 'how do the non-believers answer that one'. I'm not against him saying it! I just feel it's a bit silly to even think that way in a world where super heroes exist. "So those guys who should have been shot and weren't? You're asking me how did they survive if it wasn't a miracle of God? Um, how about, well, SUPER HEROES?!"

I don't believe any of the Master Plan nonsense. My answer to all of Cap's questions here is his first answer: luck. But I like this characterization of him. This feels right! This works.

Except I have a bad feeling they won't go far enough with it or they'll handle it poorly further down the line. But I guess I'll have to read more than 4 pages to find out!

These four pages also show that this Captain Atom is heavily inspired by Doctor Manhattan. Who, of course, was heavily inspired by Captain Atom. But the beginning to this comic reads like Doctor Manhattan has taken over and the Captain Atom from the old Justice League days is definitely gone. He may have been gone 8 years ago but I haven't been reading comics for awhile!

And just like that, in the space between paragraphs, I've finished reading it!

This comic does everything the first two issues does but better. The first two issues were extremely boring and definitely not needed. This one shows how Captain Atom feels about his power and his place in the world. This issue shows Captain Atom's powers at work. This issue shows how the other Super Heroes feel mistrustful of him.

In three intriguing panels, it shows us the mystery Villain of the Month better than in the four or five pages used previously. Sure, we know less about him here. But the mystery and tension are so much fucking better!



Even the Continuum, the laboratory where Captain Atom spends his down time, is introduced better here! When he complains that the other heroes have families and jobs and homes to go home to. He has a lab. And the panel shows him arriving. That's all they need! You can fill stuff in later, little by little!

Even if this was the first time we see his co-worker Ranita, we can see how much she cares for him. And how much Scott (who I think may be involved with Ranita) dislikes him!

If this were the first comic of the series, it would be rated just between Aquaman and Justice League International. But because this is the third issue (but I will henceforth refer to it as Issue #1 and forget about those others), I'm leaving it at the current bottom of the rankings. If the next issue is well done, it'll pass up Flash. If it's really well done, I'll move it ahead of Justice League!

Prove yourselves, Storytellers Krul and Williams!

2 comments:

  1. Oregon has horses, rabbits, cats, squirrels, and what the heck is that worried-looking creature to the reader's left of the horse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a mandog. I thought the thing to the reader's right of the horse was a wallaby or a joey.

    ReplyDelete