Friday, February 12, 2016

Edge of Oblivion #2


Don't worry, Lantern Fans! John doesn't die! Not in this issue, anyway.

Rating: -1 Ranking.

I suppose if I wanted to read a story where a bunch of fairly well-known Green Lanterns die, this is the comic book which I would pick up. But I don't want to read that story. I bet Cullen Bunn is pissed that he didn't get to be the one to kill Muk-Muk, Arisia, and B'dg! That's his go-to move to make an exciting comic book! Kill somebody so the readers think that nobody is safe! It really increases the dramatic tension for those readers who actually believe that any character could die at any time. But those readers are idiots. All it really does is piss off fans of the characters that were killed to make it seem like the main characters aren't as safe as the audience might have thought! It's disingenuous and mean-spirited!

Here's the way I see it! I don't feel like Guy Gardner is in any real trouble. Maybe John Stewart is because the editors at DC seem to want to kill him for some reason (racism, probably). So killing Muk-Muk, Arisia, and B'dg doesn't change my feelings about Guy's safety. Which means they're killed for no reason at all.

On the other hand, there are a lot of Green Lanterns and I guess some of them should die some times. But should Tom Taylor be the one doing it? It's as if he's painted himself into a corner and people expect him to kill off a character or two along the way. Does he really want to be that writer? I know Cullen Bunn does but then Cullen Bunn is just desperate to be known as any kind of writer, even a bad one! Which he is! Congratulations!

The main problem with this story is that it never should have even begun in Green Arrow Convergence #2! DC really needs to stop greenlighting projects when the pitch is one stupid question which I'm sure Lost Army was: "What if the Green Lanterns wound up in Relic's universe?! OMG!"

No comments:

Post a Comment