Sunday, July 22, 2012

Animal Man #11


My favorite pair of boots ever were London Underground and they had skulls on the bottom tread.
While doing the commentary on Detective Comics #11 in my faux "Sam and the Firefly" voice (my favoritist book ever ever ever in Elementary School), I thought: "What if I did each series' commentary in a different voice?" And then I thought, "Holy fucking shit that would be hard to keep up." And then I thought, "I'm hungry." And then I went to Taco Bell because it's the only thing open this late at night where I can get something that doesn't have meat in it. And then I watched the first twenty minutes of the Star Trek episode, "The Enterprise Situation," as I ate. And by this time, I'd completely forgotten my stupid idea to write every series in a different voice. And that's why I'm not going to do that. Because I forgot all about it.

Meanwhile, Buddy Baker is in the Red getting a new body. Not only is he having a new body made, he's getting a better wi-fi connection to the red put in. And they may even install some limited species-shifting abilities! That will come in handy if he's ever horny and out in the savannah with not human females in sight.

I didn't really notice that the artist had changed even though I put their names in the tags before beginning the comic book. Steve Pugh was doing the art and now Alberto Ponticelli has come over from Frankenstein to join Lemire on this title. He's keeping the style really close to what it was except for one problem. It's a very, very serious problem and I don't know how long I can stand it.


He can't draw Socks worth shit. Socks looks like a fucking capybara.
Although he does a much better job on the next page when Socks mutates into a gigantic killing machine to hunt down Cliff and the Hunter that has him!


This must be how people who hate cats see them.
Socks finds Cliff and the Hunter but then the scene changes to the RV with Buddy's family. Buddy's body was finally rebuilt and he can transform into weird human-animal hybrids depending on what animal he's drawing power fro. He descends to the parking lot near his family as a bird man. Maxine gets him some pants and he's off to save Cliff!


If he took the properties of a spider, would that be copyright infringement?
Animal Man changes into Gorilla Man and punches his own body's head off. Then he turns into Elephant Man and says, "I am not a monster. I am a human being." And then he goes to sleep lying down and suffocates. No, wait, he smashes his own rot-infected head into jelly. And that's how the Hunters' Three storyline ends! Ta da!

Except for one final epilogue.


So has Cliff been infected a little bit by The Rot?
Animal Man #11 Rating: No change. The story was big time anti-climactic. But that's mainly due to Animal Man being upgraded so that he can now more readily protect his daughter. It's been around twenty years since I read the last Animal Man series, so I'm pretty foggy on the whole thing. But I'm pretty sure Animal Man has gone through more changes to his powers and what fuels his powers than possibly any other modern DC hero. But it makes sense, right? He's Animal Man. He should keep evolving.

No comments:

Post a Comment