Sunday, May 15, 2022

Alan Moore's Jerusalem: Book 3: Vernall's Inquest: Round the Bend: Line 30

Line 30: "I dent mind bein' bi myself, and I dar say you've auther fish to frey."

Non-Lucy-Lips Version: "I don't mind being by myself, and I dare say you've other fish to fry."

"dent mind"
Lucia's mind isn't perfect and has some flawers.

"bein' by myself"
Looks like Alan is suggesting Lucia was into the ladies as well as the Samuel Becketts!

"I dar say"
Sorry but this is, to me, unfathomable. Why turn "dare" into "dar" in this instance? I doubt it has anything to do with the Daughters of the Revolution. I mean, it might do! But probably not.

"auther"
Lucia's father was an author.

"frey"
Freyr or Frey is the Norse God of fertility and peace and rain and sunshine. This also could reference Freyja (Freyr's twin sister) who is also associated with fertility and also sex and love and portentious magic. The portent aspect of Freyja could be important in that Lucia's way of twisting words becomes a sort of spell which reveals that which is hidden or unknown. Frey could also reference "fray," suggesting every day is a constant battle within Lucia's mind as she "wonders" the grounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment