Sunday, May 15, 2022

Alan Moore's Jerusalem: Book 3: Vernall's Inquest: Round the Bend: Line 29

Line 29: "'Will, I thought I might have a wonder in the ground, now, seeing as it's such a liffley day and all the flawers are in Bloom."

Non-Lucy-Lips Version: "Well, I thought I might have a wander on the grounds, now, seeing as it's such a lovely day and all the flowers are in bloom."

"Will"
I guess when Lucia wants to say "well" she says "will" and vicey-versy (that's a call back to nicey-nercy!). I don't know about any Wills in Lucia's life but then I haven't read any biographies about her other than her Wikipedia.

"I thought I might have a wonder in the grounds"
Less of a walk around the grounds enjoying the scenery and more of a walk while deep in thought contemplating the past ("wonder in the grounds").

"liffley"
Another mention of the River Liffey in Ireland which is somehow a metaphor for Lucia. I'm not familiar with James Joyce's works so can't really speculate on how this connection is important.

"flawers are in Bloom."

The flaws of Leopold Bloom, the protagonist of Ulysses. If we connect James with Bloom then one of the main "flaws" of Joyce could be considered his daughter Lucia who wound up homed in St. Andrew's Hospital because of her schizophrenia.

No comments:

Post a Comment