Friday, April 8, 2016

Green Lantern #51


John Romita Jr. had the opportunity to draw anything he could think of made out of Green Lantern light but instead he chooses to draw Hal Jordan as a Popsicle stick.

Rating: Not much happens in this issue so you can probably just skip it. Jim is like, "Hal! You're Hal!" And Hal is all, "Oh yeah! I should go find my friends!" And then Hal is all, "Here they are! But they've been captured! I guess I'll save them next issue!" And that's it! So unless you just feel you have to have a complete collection of Green Lantern books (or you can't live without a John Romita Jr. Hal Jordan Popsicle Stick), I'd skip this issue. I don't think I learned anything and Darlene didn't even say anything funny. Unless that part where she proved how disloyal she is was supposed to be funny! Oh yeah! I think it was! Ha ha! Good one.

Hal's brother Jim or Peter or whatever reminds the readers what's been happening in this comic book over the last year. It's the opposite of nice that DC Comics would rather waste five pages giving readers a synopsis of the current plot rather than going the Marvel route and just throwing a Previously page at the front of the book. Jim's not only telling the readers what's been happening but Hal as well because Hal doesn't remember who he is after the battle with Parallax. But even that doesn't really matter after Jim finishes his synopsis because Hal remembers who he is after his brother's speech. I used to get bitter and angry over this kind of wasted space in my expensive monthly comic books but my ass is so reamed out from DC's constant administrations that I hardly even notice now.


I'm lost. Who's Will?

Hal became solid light while battling Parallax which is something Hal's never heard of in all the time he's not listened to anything the Guardians have told him. So now he's off to find the Bohemian Guardians and the Green Lantern Corps because they might help solve the mystery. Or tell him it isn't a mystery at all and he should know that this kind of thing is possible because Kilowog screamed it into his face on his first day of training.

Meanwhile in space, Darlene, The Little Prince, and Trapper Keeper are being attacked by Gray Agents. They're probably after Hal Jordan but don't realize he's not aboard Darlene. I think they began tracking them on that planet with the Garbage Dump Thanagarian Gang. Prince and Trapper are taken prisoner. Good thing Hal is done with his business on Earth so he can come back and rescue them. I think that's a good thing. The Gray Agents are hunting for Hal so they're probably prepared for him. Everybody else in the universe seems to have a way to defend against the Universe's Greatest Weapon, so why not people hunting a Green Lantern?

Hal shows up at the end but finds he doesn't have any more pages to begin the battle because so many were wasted at the beginning. Now I'm really going to feel bitter when I purchase Green Lantern #52.

No comments:

Post a Comment