Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I, Vampire #8


They all want a piece of Angel Andrew!

Last issue was Justice League Dark #8! In it, Shade the Changing Man left the series and, less importantly, Andrew Bennett came back from the dead to defeat Cain. I suppose this issue will be the big battle between Good and Evil. And maybe Batman.

When Bennett returns to confront Cain, he is called The Demon's Lock by Cain, Daddy Vampire. That just about proves that Etrigan and his Demon Knights were the ones to imprison Cain inside of Bennett hundreds of years ago. And then Cain tells his vampire minions to destroy Andrew. All of that action happens on Page One! Was that a lot of action? And technically most of that action too place on Page 20 of Justice League Dark #8.

With a wave of his arms, Bennett manages to turn all of the vampires to dust. I think that proves that Madame Xanadu's deal with Astral Smurf was to give all of the power to the Good Vampire. That'll probably work out in the long run. After his army is defeated, Cain resorts to the calling cry of the nearly defeated: "Is that all you got?!" He actually says, "I will end you!" But I never really talk about the villain crying, "I will end you!" or "I will destroy you!" or one of those threats. At this point (and I'm only on page three!), I think Cain should be yelling, "So sorry! So sorry! Don't mind me! I'll just be on my way."

Andrew reforms all of the vampires to be on his team while he tells Cain that he's no longer just another vampire with a soul (too many of those around lately anyway), he's something much more powerful. He's the equal and opposite to Cain's primordial evil.


I know everyone has been calling him a traitor to the vampires and he needed to come up with an opposite, but, um, seriously? Only in an American comic would someone just saying the word 'Patriot' be treated so dramatically.

Mary sees this and thinks Andrew is somehow on her side. She runs up to him and gives him a big smooch after he says, "I've seen the error of my ways." I have a feeling when I turn the page, his error will have been keeping her alive.

Or maybe not. Instead of killing Mary, he lops the head off of Cain. I'm sure Cain isn't dead. He'll be back. But what is Andrew's plan for Mary?


He's not letting her kill everyone. So that's a good sign. Right?

While Cain has been destroyed for now, Justice League Dark, Hippie John, and Tig are all a little concerned that maybe Andrew Bennett has decided to embrace his vampire self at long last. They believe Xanadu has just given the new leader of the vampire rebellion Godlike powers. And maybe that's not a bad thing.


Maybe he'll work within the law to get them their civil rights. Batman might help since he's against killing them, the pansy!

Andrew sends Hippie John to do something that John does not want to do. Andrew calls whoever he is sending John to Plan B. John simply calls them monsters. That probably won't be revealed this month.


Surprise! I was completely wrong! The monsters are the Van Helsings! Is it time for Castlevania?

I, Vampire #8 Rating: No change! This was actually a good resolution to the Vampire Rebellion. Andrew Bennett stopped it but he's also worked it so that he's back with Mary and in control of the vampire hordes. And maybe Justice League Dark can get back to dealing with its own problems next issue! DC's New 52: Where everybody's chocolate is in everybody else's fucking peanut butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment