Saturday, June 15, 2013

Superboy #21


If I hadn't been reading Superboy before now, I may actually have picked it up based on this cover. A Boy and his Dog Story. Go Krypto!

I have yet to open this comic book so I'm crossing my fingers that Justin Jordan doesn't go back to that whole "My name is Superboy" bullshit opening that Tom DeFalco and Scott Lobdell loved so much. I know Jordan obliterated it at the beginning of last issue but you never can tell what DC's editors deem is truly important. Someone may have been pissed and they might try to force him back to that bullshit opening. For all that is good and holy, please don't let that happen!


I actually would not have minded if this began, "My name is Krypto."

Interestingly enough, Justin Jordan seems to know the difference between the Arctic and the Antarctic! That's another reason he's a better writer than Tott Dedell.

Last issue, Superboy and Doctor Psycho teamed up to battle H.I.V.E. Doctor Psycho just wants them to stop pursuing him (I think!) and Superboy doesn't really have a H.I.V.E. related agenda. He just kind of got roped into this thing because Doctor Psycho lied to him about being able to reveal some of Superboy's secret past. But Superboy doesn't just kick Doctor Psycho out on the streets when he realizes he was lying because Doctor Psycho tells him more lies about how H.I.V.E. can help somehow. I suppose Superboy is still too young and naive (he's only like six months old!) to realize he probably shouldn't be teaming up with a guy named Doctor Psycho.


And then Krypto comes for a visit!

I remember Krypto meeting Supergirl in H'el on Earth but I don't remember any stories where Superboy gets to know Krypto. That doesn't mean none have been told. It could mean my memory sucks. Even if no issues have shown a meeting, Superboy has spent enough time with Superman while going through his DNA woes that he probably was introduced. And Krypto, unlike everybody else on Krypton, apparently likes clones.

Doctor Psycho's research leads them to a runaway girl named Sarah that has some psychic power that puts her on H.I.V.E.'s hit list. She's currently being tracked by a creature called Decay, so Superboy, Doctor Psycho, and Krypto take her under their collective wing to protect her. Judging by the way Issue #20 began, I don't think they're going to be very good at it.

While they're putting some food in Sarah (who escaped from the same H.I.V.E. facility that Doctor Psycho escaped from), Decay attacks! And he's another one of those creatures that isn't affected by telekinesis! Go figure! Superboy's power is the worst because it's simply binary. If the writer wants it to work, it works and Superboy is a badass Super Person. If the writer doesn't want it to work, it doesn't work and Superboy can't do much of anything. Also, Superboy apparently can't touch Decay but Decay can touch Superboy. So can Superboy touch Decay while Decay's touching Superboy since that's the only fucking way that can fucking work?


See? He's holding his arm! Kick him in the privates now!

Doctor Psycho realizes that Decay is just a psychic manifestation created by Sarah. So he threatens her life and she suddenly changes into Decay herself. So now maybe Decay is physical? Also, I'm guessing kicking her in the privates wouldn't have been as effective a plan as I thought.

To stop Sarah, Superboy interrupts the blood flow to her brain, causing her to pass out. Then Doctor Psycho induces a psychic coma so that she'll remain in her happy place picnicking with her parents until they can find a proper way to keep her from turning into Decay. Superboy realizes that H.I.V.E. is exactly like N.O.W.H.E.R.E. in that they're creating warriors out of innocent people. Now he actually has a reason to battle H.I.V.E. And Doctor Psycho believes he knows where to go next.

Superboy #20 Rating: +1 Ranking. Once again, not that I think this individual issue was really very good but at least it was coherent and driven by a plot that has now remained consistent across two issues. So it's definitely better than it was. Also, I'd just like to point out that Psiphon's name was changed to Psyphon this issue. Editorial consistency! You know, in that they're never very consistent about doing their job.

No comments:

Post a Comment