Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Batman Loves Superman #30


The worst part about these gimmick covers is that I have to hunt for the scissors to open the stupid bags.

Rating: +5 Ranking.

Come on! This is what The New 52 Batman Loves Superman comic book should have been from the beginning! Greg Pak's initial vision was too much exactly like the Preboot version where we see Batman's thoughts on a subject and then Superman's thoughts on a subject and we think, "Oh! I get it! They're different! But the same! When did I last jerk off?" And after his first story (which was cool because Jae Lee did the art), the entire book wound up in the toilet (which was expectd because Brett Booth began doing the art). But Tom Taylor has now written a story where Batman is a Batman I can feel good about liking, Superman is a Superman who isn't worried about getting beat up and he's doing the right thing, and Lobo is fucking Lobo in the way Lobo should be Lobo. By which I mean he's the villain and he gets beat in the end and he's not a complete and utter twat.

While I'm praising the writing, I should also note that Rocha and Leisten do their job well. I'm not a particularly visual person so I don't really critique the art unless it's just fucking awful (see that thing I wrote earlier about Brett Booth). I don't even know why I read comic books!

No wait! I do know why! Because I'd rather see pictures of the people and the environment than have to read page after page of descriptive prose! And I like dialogue in speech bubbles so I don't have to constantly skim past all the Batman saids and Superman saids and Lobo growleds!

No comments:

Post a Comment