Thursday, December 29, 2011

52 at First Glance, Part Seven

25. Birds of Prey
Writer: Duane Swierczynski
Artist: Jesus Saiz

I remember Birds of Prey but never read it. I realize I know Gail Simone now because she was just taking over this comic about the time I was getting out of buying monthly comics. I probably would have read this at the time but I was really busy following writers and/or specific super heroes and I wasn't following Oracle at all. I had read Killing Joke when it came out (and have the first printing) and was pretty blown away by what Joker did to Barbara Gordon out of costume. To me, it was a wonderful story to see what can happen to a super hero who keeps their identity secret to protect their loved ones and yet never think that their loved ones who might be in prominent positions (Commissioner Gordon) could be the cause of harm to them while in their secret identity. So Barbara Gordon who is entirely capable as Batgirl suddenly finds herself crippled by the Joker not because she was trying to stop him but because he came to hurt her father and she was just an innocent bystander.

So this comic is easy to pick up at this point and I'm hoping for a really fun ride. Also, a big plus: Katana!

26. Red Hood and the Outlaws
Writer: Scott Lobdell
Artist: Kenneth Rocafort

I don't know anything about the team working on this title. I also don't know anything about the title characters. So let me look at the cover and see if that helps.

Hmm. From the cover, it looks like it stars Speedy, Starfire, and whoever this Red Hood guy is. So for some reason, Starfire and Speedy are outlaws? And should I know who this titular Red Hood should be?

I probably would have picked this one up out of curiosity. Also Starfire. I know enough Titans history that I'd like to see what DC is going to do with one of their biggest members.

Also: when searching Google for Red Hood and the Outlaws #1, I got a lot of Starfire in bikini shots. Is that the selling point of this comic? Is that Starfire's super power? Giant bosoms and thong bikinis?

HALFWAY THROUGH!

27. Green Lantern
Writer: Geoff Johns
Pencils: Doug Mahnke
Inks: Christian Alamy

I always loved Green Lantern in the Super Friends cartoon. I also love Sinestro. I enjoyed the random things they came up with to fight each other using their rings. Although it always seemed like Sinestro should win every time since Green Lantern's ring had that flaw that wouldn't let it affect anything yellow. And, um, Sinestro's ring made things out of yellow light. What was I missing here? Shouldn't Sinestro have just destroyed Green Lantern every time? Or did Sinestro always end up matched up against someone who could defeat him while Green Lantern ended up taking on Black Manta or Solomon Grundy?

I probably would have picked this comic up since I like Green Lantern but more specifically, I like a bunch of Green Lanterns in the Green Lantern Corps. And this comic should tie in with that whole Mythos.

Plus, the cover is Sinestro as Green Lantern! Awesome! Umm. Unless that is that Abin Sur guy or whatever that makes Hal Jordan Green Lantern. Not Awesome and I was tricked!

28. Green Lantern Corps
Writer: Peter J. Tomasi
Pencils: Fernando Pasarin
Inks: Scott Hanna

I picked up this comic as soon as I saw it. So I guess I would have picked it up anyway! The art team I don't recognize except for that Peter Editor guy again. But the cover. Come on! The cover: Guy Gardner. John Stewart. Kilowog. And possibly, just possibly between Guy and John, G'nort. Although I don't think so. But still! Possibly!

Definite awesomeness. Please don't disappoint! John Ostrander's Mosaic starring John Stewart is one of my all time favorite comics. So I'm pleased to see him on the cover of this. And Guy Gardner. Everyone's favorite little angry Green Lantern. Right? Come on? Right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment