Thursday, December 29, 2011

52 at First Glance, Part Eleven

41. Deathstroke
Writer: Kyle Higgins
Pencils: Joe Bennett
Inks: Art Thibert

Deathstroke is another favorite of mine so I'm glad to see he got his own title. Checking out the cover, it looks sufficiently bad-ass enough. Also, it looks like Simon Bisley did the cover. So I turned a few pages in to see the splash page but there wasn't one. So even though I might glance at spoilers, I dug through to the final pages to find the credits and, lo and behold, Simon Bisley did the cover.

I don't know the people crewing this ship but I'm aboard! Whoo whoo! Unless that's a train noise.

42. Suicide Squad
Writer: Adam Glass
Pencils: Federico Dallocchio
Inks: Ransom Getty

That guys name is really Ransom Getty?! Nice.

I may have mentioned it before but pretty much the whole reason I'm reading 52 and back into comics is because of this title. I'm not really sure why the cover doesn't feature Deadshot more prominently since he's the big star of the team. Although it features the new and improved Harley Quinn, punk rocky style, so I'm guessing that is going to attract all the new kids who just want to see sexy girls in skimpy clothes with crazy personalities.

43. O.M.A.C.
Writer: Dan DiDio
Pencils: Keith Giffen
Inks: Scott Koblish

I would never have picked up this title. I vaguely remember OMAC in an issue of DC Presents way back when. I believe it stands for One Man Army Corps? Possibly something else but very similar to that. I know Dan DiDio from somewhere but I'm currently too lazy to Google it. Maybe he did Blue Beetle or Booster Gold or something. But Keith Giffen is a hero of mine! Yay!

When I was buying a buttload of comics at my alternate comic shop, the guy ringing them up stopped at O.M.A.C. and said, "I'm really surprised at how much I'm enjoying this title." That, right there, is the reason I'm doing this experiment. I'm hoping to find some really interesting and unexpected stories.

The cover just shows a big guy smashing stuff. It looks like Giffen did the art for the cover but I'm not going to check. I trust my abilities!

44. All-Star Western
Writer: Justin Gray
Pencils: Jimmy Palmiotti
Inks: Moritat

I like westerns and I like Jonah Hex. So I would have picked this up as soon as I saw him looking all gritty in front of a Welcome to Gotham sign on the cover of issue one.

I never saw the Jonah Hex movie. Just thought I'd throw that out there so nobody thinks I love Jonah Hex because of the movie. I don't know if it was good or bad! But since it's based on a comic book, it's probably bad. Hollywood sucks at translating comics to film.

So this is another comic I'd have purchased even though I don't know any of the creative team.

No comments:

Post a Comment