Thursday, July 4, 2013

Superman #21


Wasn't this just fucking resolved last issue? Did Scott Lobdell come up with a better way to end it so he's going to begin again?

Yay! It's time to read the shittiest book of The New 52! Now, now. I know a lot of you are saying, "But Tess! What about Teen Titans?" And to that I would respond, "Don't fucking call me Tess!"

I usually like to spend a lot of time berating Scott Lobdell for how awful his stories are but today I'm going to try something different! It's four in the morning on July 4th. So I'm tired and it's a holiday. Which means I'm going to resist being a bully! Scott Lobdell is a troll and I'm not going to be baited! I'm going to calmly read this comic book so that when I lie down to fall asleep, my heart isn't going two hundred beats per minute and froth isn't frothing from my mouth. Or does froth foam? Does foam foam? Or does foam froth?

This issue begins with DC allowing Scott Lobdell to ruin yet another fucking character. Thanks a lot, DC!


Mmmmm! The sweet, sweet nectar of masturbation fantasies.

I'm surprised this comic book didn't begin with, "My name is Queen Bee. I was created by H.I.V.E. Unless H.I.V.E. was created by me. It doesn't matter anymore! It's time for my soak in perversion and suicidal thoughts!"

Why can't Scott Lobdell leave H.I.V.E. alone? He may have been the first to mention H.I.V.E. but now Justin Jordan is writing Superboy. Just leave it to him, okay? Let it go, Lobdell. Just let it go. And while you're at it, let the Teen Titans go. What did they ever do to you? Why are you torturing them? And the fans. Be cool, man. Just walk away for the greater good. Do you want my copy of John Stuart Mill's "On Liberty"? I'll send it to you free! Hopefully it'll show you how selfish you're being living your life writing comic books and making some pretty good money at it. Your life is good. But you're just one man. Just think of all the millions of people who would benefit by you walking away from DC Comics for good? Just, you know, think it over.

On the next page, Lobdell gives us the meaning of the acronym H.I.V.E.: Holistic Integration for Viral Equality. Does that make sense? Somebody tell me that makes sense! Let's see, something needs to be integrated. And it needs to be integrated in a way that concerns itself with all the parts of the whole. Okay, so those parts need to be integrated so that something becomes holistic. Got that? Somewhat? Okay. Now what needs to be integrated? Well, nothing, really, since the "Holistic Integration" is simply for "Viral Equality." I guess the "integration" encompasses everything and everybody. It's like the unstated "you" in a command. And the reason omnithing needs to be integrated is for Viral Equality! Okay, I get the equality part but why the viral? If I want to lie to myself, I can tell myself it just means that the means by which omnithing will be integrated to achieve equality is through viral means. But that doesn't make sense if Viral is modifying Equality. Does it? I'm fucking confused.

Not that the Preboot H.I.V.E.'s acronym was any better! The Hierarchy of International Vengeance and Extermination. Awful. Just awful.

Queen Bee explains that H.I.V.E. is going to "course correct the human race." They're going to "bring about global parity." I guess that means everything on the globe is going to be equal. So no more fucking arrogant humans thinking they're better than rocks. Arrogant motherfuckers. To manage this, she's going to use Hector Hammond. Because he failed to end the Omniverse, now he'll be used to save the omniglobe! Plums will stand side by side with dolphins! Farts will be president! Dogs and cats living together! Oh! Maybe H.I.V.E. should stand for "Holistic Integration of Venkman's Equation"! I know that equation was about disasters of Biblical proportions but what do you think H.I.V.E. really has in mind? Omnithing fucking singing Kumbyah?


When did this comic book become The Hector Hammond Show?

Seriously. Is ever story going to feature Hector Hammond now? Did Scott Lobdell brainstorm so many Hammond story ideas that he had to get them all out in a row? Or, like Bill Cosby, did he tell us that last story so that he could tell us this one?

Meanwhile over in S.T.A.R. Labs (Sonorous Teenagers Attending Recess), everyone is patting themselves on the backs for how smart they are and how much grant money is rolling in. So Scott Lobdell finally decides to comment on society at large and he begins by trashing scientists? What a dick.

It turns out one of the Scientists works for H.I.V.E. which now act like the Borg by infecting people (the VIRAL!) with Honey Juice (the Equality!) so that they all share one mind. Get it? H.I.V.E. has a hive mind! And they're run by Queen Bee! Because it's called Hive! Where bees live! And bees all think the same thought all of the time!


Not very original. It's like, you hear the word "hive" and you come up with this? Obvious. It's like hearing the word "wood" and telling a dick joke. Lousy fucking writers.

Now that The Queen Bee's Third Army has injected Honey into the brains of the scientists, they kidnap Hector Hammond because his gigantic mind is the biggest honeycomb of them all. It's big! Yeah yeah yeah! It's not small. No no no. He's got a big head! Big, big, big! A big, big head for a big, big mind! Hector Honeycomb!

Meanwhile in Gotham City, Clark Kent is eating Sweet and Sour Soup and using Thought Bubbles. He's also meeting with a confidential source that was impressed with Clark Kent's ability to do the journalism. To be fair, at this point in time, a family of otters could probably run a newspaper better than most journalists.


Special thanks to Judd Winick for the tutelage of using "again" in comedy during Real World San Francisco!

God fucking dammit! It's now five in the morning and I've only read six stupid pages! That's one more hour I could have spent playing Call of Duty! Or eating Oreos!

The informant holds a gun to Clark's head. I'm surprised it's not a thermal detonator seeing how every other aspect of the character was stolen from Return of the Jedi. Female in head to toe combat armor with a voice distorter. She gives Clark a folder full of information on "The Twenty." Clark says it's an Urban Legend but she assures him they are not. She doesn't give him any information on "The Thirteen" though because they're from Red Hood and the Outlaws and Lobdell doesn't write that anymore. Ha ha!

I'm sure "The Twenty" are twenty very powerful business men that control everything and aren't really men at all but lizards from another dimension whose bloodlines date back to Charlemagne.


Shouldn't that be "Did we hear that?"

As H.I.V.E. are transporting Hector Hammond through the sewers in a medical chair that must be hooked to a gazillion batters, a loose wire touches the water and zaps Hector Hammond into Godhood and he enters the minds of everyone in Metropols. But it only lasts for a moment and then he's back in his gigantic brain. Although he left crumbs in the minds of everybody, so they all begin to flip the fuck out. Except for Superman. I think Orion put up a No Hector Hammond sign in Superman's brain after his last meeting with Hammond. That was last issue.

Clark Kent decides to investigate so he turns into Superman and leaves the plane he was on flying into Metropolis. How does he exit the plane in mid-flight? Fuck you! I'm Scott Lobdell, bitches!

Superman rescues Lois when she thinks she's invulnerable and he talks Jimmy Olsen away from the ledge when Jimmy realizes he's a billionaire and then Superman gets a mind message from somebody willing to tell him the truth. Oh please, please, please, let it be the newspaper run by otters!

It's not. It's a message from the head of a worse newspaper, The Daily Planet. Instead of O. Otter Otterson, P. Percy Whiteson is telling everybody that he's Superman. Superman tells him he's an idiot and to get back to work and then flies off to unravel the mystery. He realizes that whatever is happening revolves around him because he's a fucking egomaniac. But he knows just enough to know that he doesn't know enough. At least not yet! Don't worry, Superman. By next issue, Scott Lobdell will have completely forgotten what was happening.

And finally, The Queen Bee meets Hector Hammond. He's not as comatose as she would have liked though. So now instead of using him, I guess she's going to have to work with him. And marry him! And poop out a bunch of his drones!

Superman #21 Rating: +1 Ranking. Whatever. This was better than The Teen Titans. It may, in fact, and this isn't saying a fuckload of a lot, have been the best issue of Superman yet! Besides maybe the first one that immediately went off the rails by Issue #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment