Saturday, August 11, 2012

Earth 2 #4


I'm digging Hawkgirl's new look. Yeah, I fucking said digging!

Earth 2 Issue Four begins like this:


Starman?

My knowledge of the Justice Society is mediocre at best. I can't think of any member that this could possibly represent (except my feeble Starman guess). So far we've seen The Flash, Green Lantern, and Hawkgirl as heroes. Wildcat was shown on a billboard for a boxing event. Mister Terrific has been captured by the smartest man on Earth Two. So who's left? Hawkman. Hourman. The Atom. Doctor Midnite. Starman? Green Arrow? Was there a Justice Society Green Arrow? I must be forgetting a female or two, right? Hawkgirl and Wonder Woman could not have been the only women. Was Fury a member or am I thinking Infinity, Inc. at this point? I suppose I could look up a roster but why spoil the surprises at this point, right?

Of course with the tanks (and winged creatures?! Hawkpeople? Maybe the Hawkpeople are the security forces of Earth Two!) exploding around this mushroom cloud face, I suppose it could be a super villain! But the only villain I can think of is Ultra-humanite. And that, again, might be Infinity, Inc. I guess I'll read on then since I'm out of speculation.

The corpses being walked upon by the armored men after the giant face explosion makes it look like the winged people were possibly Parademons. Perhaps there are still pockets of Apokolips resistance here on Earth. Or maybe this is a flashback although I sincerely doubt that since the narration boxes usually make that clear. The armored crew happen to find a little bit more than the dead parademons.


This apparently did happen five years ago. And his name is Captain Pratt. Still no clue.

Well, duh me in the brainpan. It's The Atom. I don't exactly remember the Justice Society's Atom's powers. He can probably change size which is how the giant hand-print he was found in was caused. Perhaps he got his powers from the atomic blast to wipe out the parademons. And he grew big immediately, smashed the ground while thrashing around from the radioactive change, and then collapsed to his normal form and lost consciousness all in the space of a few seconds.

Meanwhile, Grundy can't help being an asshole. It's where The Atom is currently headed. So I'll probably get an example of his powers in a few pages.


Solomon Grundy! Falls apart on Monday! Heart attack on Tuesday! Stays in bed on Wednesday! Watch the walls on Thursday! In love on Friday! Waits on Saturday. Comes too late on Sunday! That was the end of Solomon Grundy!

The Rot caused by Solomon Grundy is worldwide. He's one powerful Rot Avatar. Speaking of Rot Avatars, I have Animal Man and Swamp Thing up next for the Prelude to Rot World! It sounds like the worst amusement park every invented. Anyway, the worldwide rot reaches The Flash and Hawkgirl and they decide to investigate.


I appreciate how careful Hawkgirl is about just hopping on the back and having him take off. I mean, she does do that! But she's cautious about it as he starts until she realizes his energy field (or whatever) protects her as well.

With The Atom ten minutes out (although I suspect arriving any minute) and Alan Scott flying across the Pacific toward DC, Hawkgirl and Jay arrive in DC first. I think they would have arrived in DC first even if the other guys were just around the block.


Thanks for the pep talk, Flash!

Hawkgirl manages to put up a pretty good fight even though every wound she makes on Grundy regenerates almost immediately. She stays out of his reach by flying about but he has control over the dead branches and ivy which eventually grab hold of her and pull her in. He's choking the life out of her when Green Lantern appears.

Conveniently in all of the wreckage, a nice big HDTV broadcasts some news turned up nice and loud for Jay to hear as he runs about saving people.


Where would comic book writers be without the ever present newscast blaring forth?

While Flash is rescuing civilians, Hawkgirl is weeding the area, and Green Lantern is going mano a mano (although I wish they were going mono a mono) with Grundy, The Atom arrives by plane.


Does this really seem like a good idea?



Oh! I guess it was a good idea!

The above panel is the way to do a splash page. I'm sick of seeing splash pages that aren't any more effective for being large (I'm looking at Tony Daniel!). But this works well to show the Atom's increase in size and to display his sudden landing in the midst of the fight.

It seems Hawkgirl has escaped from some government controlled program because she immediately recognizes The Atom as "Al" and claims she'll never go back alive. The Atom calls her Kendra and, hating to disappoint her, grabs her instead of killing her. While still standing on Grundy's exploded mess (which I'm guessing should reform rather quickly, right?), The Atom tells the others to stand down "by the authority of the World Army Council." My guess is they won't stand down at all!

Earth 2 #4 Rating: +3 Ranking. Okay, maybe this one issue was only good enough to get a +1, very possibly a +2. But I began this comic ranked much lower than it should have been simply because there was an empty spot in my charts from one of the cancelled books. So for the time being, I'll give it a slight boost to what I think it should actually have based on each month's comic. This is a fun comic book.

No comments:

Post a Comment