Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Doctor Fate #16


This had better be the last Goddamned issue! We've got a Rebirth happening, Dr. Late!

The Commentary!
• This issue begins with the sun not rising when it's supposed to rise. At least not in New York. I'm assuming the other side of the world has the opposite problem because I'm quite the scientific-minded person. I know how all of that sky garbage works and shit. Except this comic book is based on magic and not science so maybe the Earth didn't stop revolving since that would cause a whole host of other problems that might interfere with life on Earth. Like how everybody would fly against every wall as the Earth stopped, even if their mothers put out their arms to keep them from smashing their face into whatever she was also smashing her face into. Perhaps the magic antagonist just pulled down some space blinds. I'm sure Doctor Fate will sort it all out before the comic book is over.

• I wish this comic book were over! It hasn't been very good except for the few times it's been sort of not bad.


For some reason, Alan Moore makes a cameo. Those other people might be caricatures of famous people as well but I don't recognize them.

• The real Doctor Fate, Kent Nelson, and not the reluctant Doctor Fate who still probably thinks somebody slipped some acid in his tea, heads off to investigate a setting sun in a nearby park. It's probably a waste of time because if it were the Earth's missing sun, it would be too big to fit in a park. So it's probably somebody else's lost sun. Best to not get involved.

• It turns out Osiris is in the park and he wants his helmet back. But when he goes to get it, he finds Khalid has powerful friends like Bastet and I think Coyote and I think the Archangel Gabriel and I think Mohammad except there's no way it could be Mohammad because he was drawn on paper and everything. So it was probably a different prophet who really shouldn't have been drawn either. I mean, I'm sure Sonny Liew isn't Muslim so it's not like there's any reason he can't draw an image of a prophet of Allah! I mean, except for the reason that he probably doesn't want to be killed by some asshole who thinks everybody needs to follow the tenets of a religion they're not a part of.

• Anyway, Osiris lets Khalid live. Khalid is all, "I didn't even have to do anything! This gig is great!" But the readers are all, "Dude, Doctor Fate didn't even do anything! This comic book is terrible!"

The Ranking!
-1! And I'm going easy on it! Especially since this isn't even the final issue! I can't understand how this thing made it sixteen issues! I mean, even Ann Nocenti's Katana went six issues. So I guess compared to that pile of dog vomit, this one deserves ten more issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment