Friday, October 22, 2021

Cerebus #35 (1982)


I don't think Cerebus is jerking off on this cover. I mean, maybe?

Last issue was called "Three Days Before" so, being that I'm a Grandmaster Comic Book Reader, I'm going to predict that this issue is called "Four Days Before." I mean "Three Days Before"! I'm good reading comic books not doing math.

In Deni's "A Note from the Publisher," Deni apologizes for the note being so short. At least she's learning, unlike me, that if she doesn't have anything to say, she doesn't have to pretend by rambling on and on about nothing. If only I could learn to do that, I'd stop blabbing all sorts of embarrassing secrets about myself while just trying to review a lousy comic book. Although the amount of rambling I've done over the last ten years is kind of a blessing in that it now obfuscates all of my dirtiest and most shameful admissions! Good luck discovering any of them in the five thousand comic book and television show reviews I've written!

If I were really shameless, I'd switch the style of links to match the regular text and then link all of my terrible secrets secretly within the body of this review! Ha ha! But why would I do that?! Don't bother hovering the cursor over every word in this review looking for hidden links! They don't exist!


It may have been sooner than this but here's proof that 35 issues in, Sim has perfected his style of the character. That's probably why he makes him so fat later. Just to change up something he's been doing for twenty-five years or more.

I probably already mentioned Sim's rapid improvement on this book and the development of his overall style. But it's been months since I wrote my last review (because I was writing a 345 page book) and I can't remember everything I've already mentioned! I'm an old man. I'm allowed to repeat myself over and over again. Unless I'm using slurs that were in common use in my youth. Then maybe somebody should whack me upside the head.


Dave Sim nails the joke here with "He almost dropped Cerebus." But then, through lack of confidence maybe, he adds two more unnecessary jokes: "twice" and Cerebus holding up three fingers to indicate "twice."

Maybe this is just how you're supposed to write comedy. You can't be sure that nobody will laugh at your first joke so you just have to pile on the jokes hoping that the audience will find the humor in one of them. I suppose I've known people who definitely wouldn't think any of this was funny until they noticed Cerebus holding up three fingers to indicate twice and then they'd lose their shit. Man, how did I ever become friends with those people?

Astoria, angry at Cerebus, slips him the opposite of Rohypnol. We've already seen earlier that she's a rapist but now we know she's also an anti-rapist. No wait. Maybe she's just into slipping drugs into people's drinks. This drug makes Cerebus instantly sober with the side-effect of having a major hangover. Astoria is worried about Elrod becoming Lord Julius's next Ranking Diplomatic Representative of Palnu because she's thrown all of her eggs into Cerebus's drunk basket. She might have known better if she were more interested in researching the people she works with than she is interested in manipulating everybody for her own ends (which are power and sticking it to Lord Julius). Cerebus is the worst person in Estarcion she could have gotten into bed with (and that's even considering she's already been in bed—literally—with the Roach.

Astoria gives Cerebus a quick lesson in credit lines and debt among different nations showing that she has a greater understanding of debts and debt ceilings than Republicans. I mean, obviously Republicans in Congress understand it! That's why they make a big show of not wanting to raise the debt ceiling whenever they're not in charge and don't give a shit about debt at all when they are. But they also understand that all the other Republicans who vote for them have no idea about how any of it works and simply get angry about the things Fox News tells them to get angry about.

I think I learned a lot about economics from reading Cerebus in my twenties! I hope it wasn't all wrong and from Sim's biased point of view!

Astoria lays out the plan to Cerebus which basically amounts to convincing the Prime Minister and all of Iest's major business players that, as the Ranking Diplomatic Representative of Palnu, he'll work to keep Iest solvent. That sounds like a bad plan because it relies on Cerebus not screwing up diplomatic meetings.


Astoria believes Cerebus can become powerful to enrich her and humiliate Lord Julius. Bran MacMuffin just thinks Cerebus is some kind of God Incarnate who doesn't need the help of some trollop to achieve greatness.

Bran is correct although, ultimately, he lacks faith in the prophecies and kills himself when things look bleak (that's when Weisshaupt steps in and saves the day. You don't need faith when you have cannons). But for now, Bran walks around smugly quoting ancient prophecies at Cerebus while not actually doing anything at all to help achieve them.

Astoria arranges a dinner with the Prime Minister (and Cerebus hanging around in the background in his robe not understanding any of it) to convince him to keep Cerebus as the Ranking Diplomatic Representative. But he's not having it. He plans to do whatever Lord Julius wants him to.


I don't think you can beat a guy at a game where he's making up the rules as you go along because he doesn't care about winning so much as making stupid jokes, goofing around, and waggling his eyebrows.

The Prime Minister and Astoria don't notice Lord Julius serving them coffee because they're elitist snobs. So Lord Julius and Cerebus have a chat in the blackground (that's Dave Sim's backgrounds where he just inks in the entire panel because he's tired of drawing wallpaper). The chat is just an excuse for Lord Julius to act chaotically by having a one-sided conversation for his own amusement. Lord Julius's biggest concern is that people will be paying a gold crown for twelve beer tickets at the next day's Petuniacon where Elrod will be announced as Lord Julius's diplomat.

The issue ends with the moment all of the fans of the comic book at the time it was published had been waiting for:


ouch my heart

That's it for this issue! Except for the letters. There are some letters. And a picture of Dave Sim and Wendy Pini staring at each other.


I think they were starring together in an off-broadway production of The Amityville Horror.

Cerebus #35 Rating: B. Nothing overly memorable about this issue except for the cliffhanger Jaka moment. But still a solid issue advancing the political and economic plot well. Within 35 issues, Sim figures out a way to slide seamlessly from pulp fantasy parody to modern political and economic satire.

No comments:

Post a Comment