Thursday, December 29, 2011

52 at First Glance, Part Ten

37. Demon Knights
Writer: Paul Cornell
Pencils: Diogenes Neves
Inks: Oclair Albert

I like The Demon. I liked the Demon when Ennis was writing it and Val Semeiks was drawing it. (By the way, I just Googled Semeiks to make sure I spelled the name right and I did! How come my brain remembers something like that but I can't remember the names of my friends' children?) I even liked The Demon when Jack Kirby was doing it. I wasn't alive for that but I bought and read them years later. The point I'm trying to make is this: I would have picked up this comic even if Judd Winnick were writing it. Umm, maybe.

The cover shows The Demon all by himself slashing nothing with a sword. So where are all of his knights?

38. Stormwatch
Writer: Paul Cornell
Artist: Miguel Sepulveda

Too bad Paul Cornell's name wasn't Warren Ellis. Except that was already done and I can still go back and read that if I want. This is another one of those comics that I'd have picked up anyway because Ellis did such a great job of creating this world and these characters. Another big plus is seeing Martian Manhunter on the cover along with Apollo and Midnighter.

I can't help but feeling that this comic is going to have to continually out do itself month after month with bigger and badder and more universe impending doomy things to deal with. Especially since it's taking place alongside Justice League with all of its heavy hitters.

If Justice League is taking care of the big threats then I expect Stormwatch to be dealing with somehow even bigger threats than that! I can't wait to see what crazy crap they come up with in this comic.

39. Grifter
Writer: Nathan Edmondson
Pencils: Cafu
Inks: Jason Gorder

I don't know anything about Grifter or his creative team.

The cover shows Grifter with a gun in each hand falling out of a window while blasting away at some ghostlike things. Grifter looks like a refugee from Image Comics. Possibly a stowaway from Marvel.

Hunh. I just google image searched to find out who he might look like and noticed that Grifter was an Image Comic hero! So! There you go. I know my comics!

I wouldn't have picked up this title if I wasn't doing this buy them all thing.

40. Voodoo
Writer: Ron Marz
Artist: Sami Basri

The cover of Voodoo shows the face of a woman. She is either in ecstasy or dying. She's chewing seductively (or near-deathily) on her left lizard hand. I have no idea what this comic is about and the cover isn't actually helping. I'm not really too curious about her lizard hand. Or why she might be having an orgasm right there on the cover of the book.

Hmm, when I say it that way, maybe this does look like a good comic! I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment