Thursday, December 29, 2011

52 at First Glance, Part Nine

33. Animal Man
Writer: Jeff Lemire
Pencils: Travel Foreman
Inks: Dan Green

First off, the big surprise: I don't recognize anybody in the Animal Man creative team.

Before Grant Morrison came in and revamped him, I think I only ever knew who he was because of DC's Who's Who comic, a sort of encyclopedia of all of their characters.



See? There he is! Right over Aquaman's right shoulder! He didn't seem like much but I guess DC acquired the property and wanted to squeeze some money out of him. So Grant Morrison turned him into something interesting.

It was never Animal Man's powers that made him interesting, though. So I'll see how Jeff Lemire handles Buddy Baker. I hope it's as entertaining as how Morrison, Milligan, and Delano dealt with him.

34. Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
Writer: Jeff Lemire
Artist: Alberto Ponticelli

This is one of those WTF titles. The cover shows a mohawked Frankenstein with some kind of chain gun thing in one hand and a sword in the other. Behind him are a Japanese schoolgirl with a pistol and a four-armed green alien chick with guns. They seem to be fighting some creature that's outside the cover but it has claws and a tentacle.

This comic looks awesome!

35. I, Vampire
Writer: Joshua Hale Fialkov
Artist: Andrea Sorrentino

Sometime last year, my friend Ken was telling me I should watch True Blood. And I told him I'm never again reading or watching or listening to anything that has to do with Vampires. About a week after that, I went to go see Concrete Blonde on their Bloodletting 20 Years Later Reunion. So I blew that one right out of the gate. And now I'm going to read a Vampire comic book! I think. I mean, it has Vampire in the title. And the I part of that makes it seem like the narrator or main character is probably a Vampire. But I don't know anything about it.

The cover has a nearly naked woman and a half naked man with wings standing back to back. So I'm guessing that the era of Vampires are Sexy isn't quite over. I bet this comic makes me feel like a twelve year old school girl with her first crush! Eeeee!

36. Resurrection Man
Writer: Dan Abnett
Pencils: Andy Lanning
Inks: Fernando Dagnino

I don't know anything about this character or the creative team.

Is this anything like Deadman? Is Deadman jealous of Resurrection Man? Are they rivals? I wonder if there is an Insurrection Man! Or an Erection Man! For Your Protection Man?

The cover shows a white haired scowly fellow scrabbling out of a grave. Are these the new Horror Titles for DC? I'm getting scared! In a sexy way! Probably how you'd feel if a hot naked vampire lady were draining your blood. You'd be all, "Hee hee hee. *giggle gurgle gurgle die*"

No comments:

Post a Comment