Monday, July 3, 2023

Justice League Europe #26 (May 1991)


I can tell by Power Girl's tits that Bart Sears drew this cover.

In my early years of reading comic books, I probably couldn't look at a cover and tell you the artist who drew the cover. I certainly could never tell you who inked it if the cover were a combined effort. But I never really concerned myself with the names of the creators. I just thought comic books magically happened. My guess is that Jim Aparo was the first artist whose work I could identify and my knowledge slowly grew from there. Simon Bisley. Val Semeiks. Chris Bachalo. Tom Taggart. But then I stopped reading comic books and all that knowledge left me until I began reading The New 52 and found I was able to identify so many new artists (not new to the profession but new to my ability to recognize their work) simply by looking at a cover! Rob Liefeld. David Finch. Jim Lee. John Romita Jr. Moritat. This isn't meant to be impressive! Most comic book fans can do this and do it way better than I ever could! It's just that I was going to write a paragraph about how I'm terrible at it and have always been terrible at it and have never learned anything and then I remembered I always knew Jim Aparo's work and then I remembered other artists I could identify even way back then and I began realizing, "Wait. I'm not so bad! I can recognize Bart Sears' art just by looking at Power Girl's tits!" I impressed myself and so I had to write about how I'm not as blind to comic book aesthetics as maybe I thought I was. But you never read the original paragraph that I had planned to open this comic book so it just sounds like I'm strutting around the comic book store declaring, "Actually, I can identify a Rob Liefeld cover 85% of the time."

Anyway, I'd know those tits anywhere.

Last issue ended with a Starro zombie asking Kilowog to help its master, Starro the Conqueror. The Justice League don't think he should go. Not because they know all about Starro! None of the current European branch seem to know anything about him. They don't think he should go because the man is wearing a starfish on his face.


If a little bird man called me "kiddo," I'd shut him up in the bathroom with my cat.

I have a no kill policy when it comes to spiders and bugs in the house. Almost purely catch and release, if possible. The only exception I have to this is large moths because I also live with a tiny little killer who loves to chase and eat a fat, juicy moth. And how can I say no to my little fuzzy baby muffin? So moths get captured and stuck in the bathroom with Gravy. What Gravy does with the moth behind closed doors is her business!

Apparently Starro has an English shire in his thrall and nobody ever noticed. I'd almost believe this, seeing as how every time I watch a British show, somebody mentions a village that sounds like they made it up on the spot. But a village where everybody had purple starfishes mashed onto their faces going unnoticed? Seems strange. Although this was thirty years before Brexit so maybe people were more forgiving about foreigners bringing their cultures into the United Kingdom (which you would expect to be the case (and almost demand it, actually!) from a people who forced their culture onto so many other nations throughout the centuries!).

The Justice League agree to go with Kilowog to investigate the situation. I'm sure it will all get settled over a nice cuppa and some starfish applied to several faces.

Before the visit to the quaint little village commences, there's a scene at Scotland Yard where Inspector Camus (the guy from Paris who kept having to investigate the League) has been assigned to be the liaison between the League and Scotland Yard. I feel like this has already been a scene in a previous issue. Maybe the previous scene was just the French police saying, "You are no use to us anymore without the League stationed nearby. You are being shipped to England!" I might have read something like that and just interpreted it as Camus was going to be working with the Justice League. He gets an office in the Justice League Embassy so that Gerard Jones doesn't have to constantly keep thinking up reasons for him to be hanging around the embassy. Camus acts like he doesn't want to be there but I think the guy is obsessed with the League. Sue hates him for sure though.


"It's got your mountains green, your pleasant pastures seen, your clouded hills, your dark Satanic mills."

Why doesn't that baby in the panel above have a starfish on its face?! Does Starro not want to experience the psychic trauma of shitting itself?

The guy with the starfish on his face explains that he's wearing the starfish entirely of his own free will which is exactly the kind of thing a starfish-faced, mind-controlled alien puppet would say. I guess it's also the kind of thing a person retaining their own free will would say. So I'm stymied! This is like that riddle of the two wolves living inside a person where one wolf can only lie and the other wolf can only feed upon your dreams. It's also possible that I have shitty reading comprehension for Internet wisdom. Maybe this is more like the boiling frog that slowly gets more and more prejudiced by reading various 4chan threads that become increasingly racist.

This story of the law visiting a strange British village full of weird people wearing animal masks on their faces feels familiar. If Captain Atom starts running into loads of naked people fucking and kids singing weird fertility songs, he'd better get the fuck out of there. Although he's fireproof, so maybe he should just hang around and have a nice time inside the Wicker Man. It's not like Justice League America were here. Martian Manhunter would be fucking done.

Nearby the village lies Starro's crashed spaceship. The villagers went in search of Kilowog to help get it fixed. Severely injured, Starro flops nearby in a massive tent. He acts surprised that the Justice League has come to help him. I say "acts" because it's probably a trap. Starro's last name is Conqueror so he's not going to fool me. Also, if I never trust anybody, I can never look like a fool when they turn out to be dickwads! Although I wind up looking like a fool 95% of the time because 95% of people aren't trying to pull one over on me and I just wind up looking like a paranoid asshole who can't have a normal conversation.


I still don't trust him. Poke him in the eye!

Kilowog fixes Starro's ship and launches it toward space. But before it exits Earth's atmosphere, it goes all Elon Musk Space X on their asses. You know, it blows up. The villagers get pretty angry about it as they think the Justice League sabotaged the ship. But Starro sabotaged the ship so he could rain his little starfish minions down on actual civilization: London. He knew the shit little shire didn't have the kind of people who could help him take over the world. But London?! He'll take control of loads of international movers and shakers. And also Andrew Lloyd Webber!

I guess this is how Starro reproduces. He blows himself into little bits in some populated world's atmosphere, raining down starfish to control the minds of everybody below while one of the little bitty starfish becomes the central intelligence. In this case, it's just a bum in an alley. Then I guess that starfish eventually grows bigger, consumes the host, and turns into the new massive Starro?

Justice League Europe #26 Rating: C+. A little light on the story, especially when everybody reading the book knew Starro was lying about everything. But the Justice League fell for it anyway, the dumb fuckers. I guess Ralph Dibny didn't twitch his nose enough to smell all the clues leading to the Justice Leagues betrayal. And Silver Sorceress didn't cast any truth detection spells. And Power Girl didn't punch Starro into jelly at the first opportunity. And Rocket Red, well, he did what he was supposed to do: earnestly believe whatever anybody tells him. At one point in the story, Captain Atom declares, "I don't think. I observe. And react." I guess he proved that point here although I don't know why he insulted himself out loud to everybody. "I don't think"? Was that supposed to be some kind of brag? And if you observe and then react, perhaps you should have reacted to the observation that Starro was playing you for a fool! On the plus side, I didn't find an opportunity to remind everybody that Gerard Jones is a convicted sex criminal!

No comments:

Post a Comment